Head-on collisions can be deadly. In fact, this type of crash accounts for more than 10% of traffic fatalities. Understanding how and why head-on crashes happen can help keep you and others safe on the road.
If you’ve already been injured or have lost a loved one in a head-on crash in South Carolina, your next step should be to speak with an experienced Charleston car accident lawyer. Attorney Frank Hartman has been fighting for injured people in and around Charleston County for more than a decade. Frank has the skills, knowledge, and dedication you need in an advocate. You can schedule a free consultation right now by calling (843) 300-7600 or filling out the contact form at the bottom of this page.
Head-on crashes can also happen when a driver inadvertently turns the wrong way onto a one-way street, exit ramp, or divided highway. Though this is a relatively uncommon mistake, the Federal Highway Administration says that about 350 people are killed each year in wrong-way crashes.
Often, these crashes are caused by drunk drivers or drivers operating under the influence of drugs. But, they can happen for other reasons, as well–particularly if the driver is inexperienced and operating in an unfamiliar area that is poorly marked or not well lit at night.
The best source of information about possible responsible parties in a head-on collision–or any type of motor vehicle accident–is an attorney who is experienced in handling accident and injury cases in your area. Overlooking someone who shares blame for your injury can mean losing out on fair compensation.
You may even be entitled to compensation if the accident was partly your fault. In South Carolina, an injured person who is partly to blame can still recover damages, as long as they are not more than 50% at fault. However, your award will be reduced in proportion to your fault. So, for instance, if you had $100,000 in damages but were 30% responsible, you would be responsible for 30% of your own costs and could be awarded the remaining 70% ($70,000).
Every car accident is different. The compensation available will depend on the extent to which you share responsibility for the accident, the extent of your injuries, the value of any property lost in the accident, the amount of your medical bills, and other factors. But, there are even more nuanced considerations. For example, someone who suffers a career-ending injury at age 60 likely won’t be entitled to as much compensation as someone who is no longer able to work at the age of 30–the person closer to retirement has lost less in future earnings than the younger person.
No lawyer can promise you a specific amount of money in a personal injury case. In fact, you should steer clear of any lawyer who claims they can. But, an experienced car accident lawyer can explain in more detail what losses you can be compensated for and how those damages are typically calculated.
Whether you’ve been injured in a head-on collision or another type of car accident, it’s important to act quickly to get the help you need. Immediately after the collision, that means contacting the police and seeking appropriate medical attention.
The next step should be to set up a free consultation with a local injury attorney experienced with head-on collision cases. Innocent mistakes in the days after your accident can hurt your case, and important evidence can be lost as time passes. There’s no reason to delay. Call (843) 300-7600 right now to schedule a free consultation with Charleston car accident attorney Frank Hartman.
There are three ways to contact Frank Hartman and ask him any question you need answered